The largest sporting event of the year is fast approaching. The Super Bowl–what a wonderful chance to pretend you know the rules of football, watch commercials, and stuff your face with cheesy dip. In an effort to prevent the usual greasy food coma that follows Super Bowl snacking, I’ve put together a list of snacks that still taste amazing but are a little lighter on the stomach. Obviously, there are the easy substitutions like hummus, fresh salsa, and guacamole. But for myself, there still needs to be a little cheese. There are some lines I’m not willing to cross. Here are a few fun healthy Super Bowl recipes:
- Jalapeno poppers. As a warning, you might not be able to stop eating these.
- Honey porter glazed chicken skewers. Easy to make for a crowd, and the recipe has beer so….duh.
- Crispy sweet potato fries. A bit more nutritious than regular fries, and I wasn’t about to go all “zucchini fries!” on you. Or lately I’ve been really into loaded crispy sweet potato skins.
- Crispy oven baked buffalo wings. If wings are your thing, baked is the way to go.
- Sweet potato & quinoa chili. I’ve made this a few times now–intensely delicious and comforting.
- Lightened-up hot spinach and artichoke dip. Can’t go wrong with warm cheesy dip. I’ve posted this one before and there’s a reason it’s repeated here.
- Baked Southwestern egg rolls. Easier than you may think.
- French onion dip. I mean, I’d vote for caramelized onions for president.
- Spicy roasted vegetable mac ‘n cheese. Sounds like something I need to have this minute.
Have you come across any delicious (lighter) Super Bowl recipes? Share below!