Since we are on the verge of holiday dinner parties and travel, I wanted to share some fun gift ideas for the potential host or hostess. Any type of small, thoughtful gift can go a long way—perhaps something the host wouldn’t buy themselves. According to what you would like to spend, you could bring a handmade gift or pick up something small at the store. If all else fails, a bottle of wine is always a safe bet, although a lot of other people may show up with the same. Here are my twelve recommendations:
- Spiced nuts, which you can make at home in large batches for all of your holiday gatherings
- Small jar of jam
- High-quality coffee or tea, if you know the host’s preferences
- Homemade granola, which is very easy to throw together
- Hot cocoa is always good in the cold winter months. My recommendation is Trader Joe’s Peppermint Hot Chocolate
- Artisanal cheeses (I don’t know anyone who would turn those away)
- A bottle of nice olive oil or balsamic vinegar, if you’re willing to spend a bit more
Or perhaps you could pick up some freshly made pastries for the host to enjoy the day after the party, such as scones or muffins. After throwing a party they wouldn’t have to do anything for breakfast the next day.
Here are a few non-food-related items:
- Fragrant hand soap or lotion
- Personalized ring dish from Anthropologie
- Blank cards (perhaps with a fun design) because everyone needs those
- For a personal quirky gift, check out Modcloth.com
- Christmas tree ornament
If you have any additional ideas, please let us know in the comments!